Sunday, September 23, 2012

Jury Duty

I was picked to serve on a jury last week. It was a sexual assault case. To say I was nervous is an understatement. I realize what a huge responsibility it is to serve on a jury and have a say in the future of another person's life. I went in with an open mind ready to listen to all the facts. After the first day of testimony, I could have gone either way. After the second, I knew the guy was guilty. After the third day and the judgement phase of the trial I knew he should be locked up for several years. He showed no remorse for his actions and even tried to blame as many other people as he could for all his run ins with the law. He was portraying himself as the victim. We ended up finding him guilty (obviously) and sentencing him to 6 years in prison. I really wanted him to serve 9-10 years, but we had to agree on a term. Everyone ended up having to compromise (some more than others) so we settled on 6.
Young people (not all, of course) seem to think they can do whatever pleases them a the moment without thinking about the consequences and long term effects of their actions. (I guess I shouldn't just say young people, but some people. These people just happened to be relatively young.)  When you combine alcohol, drugs and sex the outcome is never going to be positive. One of the character witnesses for the defendant while explaining their night of partying said, "You know, everyone does it." I wanted to stand up and say, "No, not everyone does it!" Some people justify their behavior by saying that everyone does it so it must be okay. It's not okay to drink until you can't remember, use illegal drugs and think you can have sex with someone just because you are in their apartment and they are passed out in their bedroom. IT IS NOT OKAY!!!
This was not considered a "violent" crime. There were no weapons used. No one was physically injured. Those were the reasons we could only choose a sentence between 2 and 20 years.
I keep thinking about the people involved in this case (victim, witnesses, defendant, parents, family members) and what 6 years seems like to them now. For some it is not long enough. For others it is too long. Yes, six years will pass and the guy will be out of prison. My hope and prayer (yes, I have prayed for him and all involved) is that he will receive the treatment he needs and will come out a reformed man. I know the odds are against him, but there is always hope. My hope and prayer for the victim is that she will be able to pick herself up and change her lifestyle so it doesn't include the things mentioned above. She has a daughter who deserves to grow up with a sense of right and wrong. I pray she will get the counseling she so desperately needs to move on with her life in a positive and productive way.
This case was emotionally draining, but I'm so glad and thankful that I got to be a part of it. I learned a lot about the judicial system and the order of things in a court room. I also learned a lot about my stance on things relating to this case. I am, however, ready to get back to my little life of work, kids, football games, family and spending time at home. I am extremely blessed and thankful for my quiet, undramatic little piece of this world!

0 comments: