Saturday, January 5, 2013

7 weeks

In seven weeks I will run my second and LAST full marathon. Today was a long run day (we ran 12 miles) and I can say with confidence that I will NEVER do this again. It's not that I don't enjoy running with my friend, nancy, or like the cardiovascular benefits of all the running, it's just that, frankly, it hurts! My body kind of rebels after a long run. I won't go into detail, but, trust me, it's not pretty! Also, my knee swells to about twice its normal size and I have something going on with my SI joint. Running is not for the weak!

Drew also has sacrificed so much to allow me to do this. Running takes up 2-3 hours each Saturday (just the running part) then it takes me the rest of the day to recover physically. While I am doing this he is taking care of the kids, house, laundry and everything else that needs to be done. Our running season lasts about 6 months, so it's time for me to stop spending so much time on just me and start focusing on him and the kids.

I will still run some, maybe some shorter distances. And I want to start running with Jackson. He has some natural talent and enjoys running, so I want to support him and encourage him any way I can.

I have learned a lot about myself through this whole process. I am stronger than I thought I was and can accomplish things I NEVER thought I could. I've learned that I am mentally tough and can fight through even the toughest situations. I am someone who could barely run 1/4 mile in high school without feeling like I wanted to curl up and die to someone who has completed a FULL marathon. Not too many years ago I was doing good to run ONE mile. Not long after that I felt so accomplished to run three miles without stopping. Now running ten miles is considered an "easy" run day. Crazy, I know!

I have had to redefine my idea of success. When we started training for our first half-marathon I would get so down on myself if I needed to walk a little bit during a long run. I thought I was only successful if I ran the ENTIRE time. Now I know that walking some is okay and doesn't mean I failed or was unsuccessful. I have learned that some days running is easy and some days it is hard. I have learned to listen to my body and slow down when I'm not feeling right. I have learned that I can run for completion and not competition. I have learned that its okay to be proud of myself.

So, seven weeks from now I will finish what I started a few years ago. It has been exciting, hard, gut-wrenching and somewhat enjoyable! :0)

0 comments: