Saturday, November 21, 2009

Blood Pressure

I began having trouble with my blood pressure when I was pregnant with Bryson. At least, that is when it was first diagnosed. I took blood pressure medication throughout all three pregnancies and some in between. High blood pressure and heart disease run on both sides of my family. I have always struggled with my weight. (Being raised on McDonald's, Taco Bell and good home cooking definitely had something to do with that.) I have always been fairly active, so I know that has helped. Almost a year ago I decided that since I was finished having kids I needed to focus more on my health. I began watching what I ate and tried to change up my work outs. I lost some and then just stalled. I tried to tell myself I would start losing again, but I never did. I tried to focus more on the health benefits of exercise instead of on the number on the scale. Some days it works and some days it doesn't. Today I got some concrete evidence that all my hard work is paying off. I give blood several times a year and they always check your blood pressure and cholesterol during their screening. My blood pressure today was 100/65! That is unheard of for me! I am usually around 130/high 70's. I will get to see in a week or so what my cholesterol is. I am going to TRY to focus on the fact that I feel so much better now than I did this time last year. I know what I am doing is working. It is hard when the number on the scale doesn't go down. I would like to see it go down so I could feel like getting up during the week at 4:15 to work out is worth it. I KNOW it is worth it, but I would still like to see a smaller number. Anyway, I won't talk about the number on the scale since I just said I was going to focus on how good I feel! This IS going to be hard! At least I KNOW the inside of my body is healthy. The outside may not be so great but the inside is BEAUTIFUL!

0 comments: