Sunday, May 1, 2011

Happenings~ Funny and Not Funny



Monday morning our phone rang right after 6:00. I always wonder what's wrong when the phone rings at an odd time. I usually think of my Granddad and wonder what has happened to him. That day, however, it was our Addison's sitter, Miss Linda. Her electricity was out and she didn't know when it would come back on. After a quick discussion, I decided I would take her to work with me and drop her off at Miss Linda's after her electricity came back on. This has happened before and isn't a big deal.


Addison was excited about going to school and she's old enough to follow directions stay out of the way when I need her to. My first class on Monday's is first grade. She played a little bit with them and had a good time. When their teachers came to pick them up, she said she had fun and was ready to leave! I explained that I have to do the same thing five more times before we could go home. I had already printed some coloring pages for her and went to get those. I couldn't expect her to not get bored. I set her up with her coloring pages, markers, a clip board, blanket and exercise mat to lay on. She was set for the day. At lunch she went through the lunch line and bought her first school lunch~ corn dog! She ate with me in the teacher's lounge and was as happy as could be!


When I opened my lunch bag I saw a plastic Easter egg taped up with a note stuck on it from Bryson. It read, "To Mom and Addie. I hope you injoy your lunch. There is a chocolate candy inside. From Bryson and maybe Jack." I thought that was so sweet, but it was really light weight. I wondered what kind of chocolate was so light. I untaped it and inside was a LIVE cockroach! Yeah, my sweet son (s) thought that would be pretty funny. And, I have to say that I got a good laugh out of it! Addison made it all day at school that day. Miss Linda called that evening and said her electricity had just come back on. Good thing, because the next day I was scheduled to go on Jackson's field trip to the zoo.


Tuesday, we went to the zoo and had a great time. I was with Jackson and three really good kids. We made it to most of the animals and had a fun time hanging out together. I am so thankful for the opportunity to go with him.


Friday I gave Addison some Spaghettio's for dinner~ don't judge! It was a long week! I left the kitchen to run myself a bath~ again, don't judge! I walked back in the kitchen just as she took a bite with two meatballs on the spoon. She immediately began to choke. She couldn't breathe and there was only a slight wheezing sound coming out. She couldn't cough or talk. I ran over to her and hit her on the back real hard. I'm sure that is not what I was supposed to do, but I sort of panicked. Nothing happened and I swept my finger in the back of her mouth to try to dislodge the food. As I was doing this I felt my finger scrape across her tonsil. She has really big tonsils and I knew what it was when I scraped it. Thankfully one of the meatballs came out. I guess she swallowed the other one. When the meatball came out she spit it in the bowl along with A LOT of bright red blood. This freaked her out. She started crying to the point of not being able to breathe. The blood just kept filling her mouth. I was worried that it wouldn't stop. It finally began to slow down. It took her a good 30 minutes or so to calm down. She just kept saying, "You stuck your finger in my throat. You scratched my throat. You hurt me, Mommy." I felt horrible, but she told me she forgave me. That was a very scary moment. I hope I don't ever have to do that again. Her throat still hurts and probably will for several days. I just have to keep a close eye on her when she eats and make sure she knows to slow down and take smaller bites.


Friday evening we also went by a new bakery near our house. I wanted to get some cupcakes for Jackson's birthday. I ordered a dozen assorted cupcakes and the total came to $38!!! Uh, hello, they are cupcakes! We were going to go out to eat that evening, but not after paying $38 for 12 cupcakes. That is one of the reasons Addison had Spaghetto's for dinner! I think I was still in shock from paying that much for cupcakes.


Saturday Jackson had his final soccer game of the season. He played very well and they won their game. It really was fun watching him play and he seemed to enjoy it, too. After the game we took a group of 5 boys to the movies to see Rio and then out to dinner to celebrate Jackson's birthday. After dinner we let the boys choose a cupcake. They were so rich, the kids couldn't finish one. Drew and I finished ours, though! We weren't going to waste those expensive cupcakes!


Today is Jackson's seventh birthday. Drew's mom took him out to dinner after church today and then shopping at Toys R Us. This afternoon we took him to Academy to pick out a new bike. That's what he wanted from us. He rode it in the rain as soon as we got home! He had a great day. I am so thankful for my sweet little boy and I can hardly believe that it has been seven years since I first saw my cute, tiny baby. Time is going by way too quickly.


So, that pretty much wraps up our week. We have FOUR more weeks to go before SUMMER!!! I am looking forward to some down time and to our trip to Orlando in July!

0 comments: