Monday, June 6, 2011

Our Weekend in Pictures and Words

Sunday morning Drew, Pily and I set our alarms for 5:30 so we could go fishing. Crazy, I know! Apparently, the best fishing is in the early morning hours. We fished for a couple of hours (and caught several fish) and started heading back. That's when Drew saw the snake pictured above. He had the novel idea of trying to hook it with his lure. After three attempts, he hooked it near its tail. What he didn't consider, though, was what he would do with it AFTER he hooked it. We had no stick or oar to hit it with and no other way to kill it. After he reeled it in (a little too close for my liking) he tried to hit its head with the end of his fishing pole. (Sorry, animal lovers, but its a snake and I don't like snakes!) He stunned it a bit by hitting it with the pole then he body slammed it against the water. That slowed him (or her) down enough so he could grab its neck with some foreceps. There was much screaming and laughter going on during all of this and Jackson caught most of it on video. I forgot to mention that Jackson was our camera guy for our fishing outing and he did a mighty fine job! We took the now dead snake to the dock where Pily cut him (or her) open so we could examine its stomach contents. Evidently, his (or her) last meal was a frog. We found two skinny frog legs inside his (or her) stomach. That was a good 45 minutes or so worth of fun! You gotta love life in the country!




This is me and my kids at my mom's headstone. She and my sister are buried in the little country cemetary down the road from my grandparents house. That is just another reason I am so tied to that place. I KNOW they aren't there, but their headstones are a reminder that they were, in fact, alive and they are part of me. I so wish my kids would have been able to know her. One day. One day.





This is Pily and me at our sister's headstone. Pily was just about 2 and a half when Jamie died, so she doesn't remember her. I remember her plenty and wish she were here. Again, one day.





This time of year is turtle time! Mama turtles can be seen laying their eggs. We passed this one while riding the four-wheelers one day. She only laid one egg before we interrupted her. Maybe she went some place else to lay some more.





This is Pily's first fish she caught at the creek. Yes, she is holding a fish. If you look REAL closely you can see it! At the creek you can catch a bunch of fish, but most of them are tiny. It is still fun, though.





Here is Addie fishing from the dock. She is not the most patient person around, so she never caught anything. Doesn't she just look happy to be there? She is a country girl at heart!





Jackson and Addison at the creek. They had fun walking around and getting wet. That's what it's all about!





This is Drew's big catch. That is one of the biggest fish he has ever caught at the pond. It looked so much bigger in person. We all had to take turns holding it. The mouth on that thing was HUGE!





A dress, rubber boots and a Santa Claus necklace. Does this just scream SUMMER?!





This was Pily's first four-wheeler ride. She went about 2 MPH. Addie said, "Come on, Grandma!" I think she may have gotten up to 10 MPH before the weekend ended, though!


We spent part of two afternoons swimming in the creek and laying out on the "Fun Island." We went for walks, rode the four-wheelers, fished, ate and had a great time. We were only there two full days. Hopefully we can go back soon and stay a little longer. I just love it there. It is my favorite place in the world!

0 comments: