Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Brothers



Bryson was four years-old when Jackson was born. He was so excited to be a big brother. From the beginning he has always looked out for Jackson and been his best friend. Bryson taught Jackson how to play. When Bryson started school he would try to teach Jackson his letters and how to add and subtract. They are always around each other. In fact, Jackson will tell us that he doesn't know what to do when Bryson isn't around. They have separate bedrooms, but they choose to sleep in the same room. Usually, they sleep in the same (twin) bed. They are inseparatable.






Bryson is at church camp this week and Jackson has been feeling his absence. To lessen the pain I took Jackson to the water park by himself yesterday. We had a good time talking and playing, but Jackson kept saying, "If Bryson was here we would do_________."






Bryson is getting to the age where he may not want to spend as much time with his little brother. They are, after all, four years apart and Bryson will be starting middle school this year. Jackson and Bryson have always gotten along most of the time. I usually say they get along 95% of the time and argue 5% of the time. This is starting to change. Lately, they have been arguing more and more. Jackson is starting to stand up for himself when Bryson gets bossy and Bryson is starting to want to spend more time alone in his room. They will be in different schools next year, so they won't see each other as much after school. This breaks my heart a little, but I know it will happen.






Last night Jackson wanted Addie to sleep with him, but I knew that wouldn't work. The girl rarely stops moving even in her sleep. Neither one of them would have gotten any sleep. Addie ended up falling asleep on the couch and Jackson asked if he could lay down with me for a little while. Drew was at the airport picking Pily up, so I said why not. When we lay down he grabbed my and and held it. He said, "Bryson usually holds my hand when I am trying to go to sleep." That was about the sweetest thing I had ever heard. Bryson, who is starting to distance himself from Jackson, still holds his hand when they are going to sleep.






My prayer for these two special brothers is that they will always remain close even when life starts to pull them apart. Bryson is all Jackson has ever known since the day he was born. Bryson has taken care of him and taught him so many things (not all good, I must add!). I can see that brothers must have a special bond to each other. I love those two boys with all my heart (even when they are on my last nerve) and pray that they will always be able to depend on each other.






The other day at lunch they were talking about being roommates one day. Bryson said he would wait for Jackson to finish high school before they went to college together. I quickly nixed that idea, but told them they could still be roommates when Jackson got out of high school and Bryson was finishing up college. They went on to say that Jackson and his wife could stay in one room and Bryson and his wife could stay in the other! They may or may not end up as roommates or have a "Simmons' Brother Compound" one day, but I pray they will remain close and always be best friends.

2 comments:

Dad said...

I need blogs. I'm addicted to your blogs. Just because I don't comment doesn't mean I'm not reading.
Love you,
Dad

Carolyn said...

I LOVE this blog about your boys. The laments of a mom! I feel as you do. My kids are 7 years apart & Maggie LOVES her big brother, Morgan. I, too, hope that they continue their closeness throughout their entire lives. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. :)