Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day

I have mixed feelings about Mother's Day. I don't think I am a particularly good mother. I don't like to cook. I lose my patience easily. I am critical. I don't spend time doing crafty or imaginative things with my kids. I let them watch too much tv. I don't spend as much time with them as I should. I don't get out and play games with them very often. I don't pray with them as much as I should. I don't read with them as much as I should. I do desire to do these things, I just don't make the time for it. I love my kids with all my soul. I love being around them. They are funny and have great personalities. They make me proud. (most of the time! :0) ) Sometimes I give all of my energy away to other people's kids during the day that I don't have any left to give to my own. Do I feel guilty about this? Obviously.

This summer I plan on focusing my attention on my kids the way I should throughout the year. I am going to play with them, cook for them, make things with them. We are going to go swimming, read, pray and hang out together. I am going to try to let go of my controlling nature and just be in the moment this summer. We aren't going to have a schedule or an agenda. We are going to enjoy just being together. This is my plan~ I plan to not plan! I plan to have fun and make memories with my kids and Drew, of course.

Another reason I have mixed feelings about Mother's Day is because I was not a particularly good daughter to my mother. I was critical, lost my patience easily and showed my temper (a lot). Do I feel guilty about this? Obviously.

There is nothing I can do about this. She is gone and I cannot undo what I did. I can try to be a better mother to my kids than I was a daughter. I can try to show my kids what a good marriage looks like. I can try to show my sons how to treat a girl and I can try to show my daughter how she should be treated.

I am thankful that Drew treats me like it's Mother's Day every day throughout the year. He cooks, cleans and tells me I am "off duty" when he is home. Thanks, Sweetie for picking up where I leave off as a mother. Your kids are very blessed to have you as a daddy and I am so thankful to have you as a husband.

So, this Mother's Day I am just going to try to enjoy being a mother. There are so many women out there who aren't able to have babies or women who have lost their babies. I am thankful that I am a mother and thankful that I still have the opportunity to be a better one.

1 comments:

Kecia said...

That's greatness friend! I love that you are so open and honest about how you feel. Trust me, those three beautiful kids think you are greatness too. I can tell by the way they sit in your lap and giggle for absolutely no reason. they just love being near you. Let go of the past. Your mom knew you loved her. You can't change it, just make sure you don't repeat or pass on the same mistakes. Love you!