Monday, April 26, 2010

Training~ Day 1

Sunday Bryson and I decided would be a good day to start training for his first 5k. When he first mentioned the desire to start running, I made a promise to myself that I WOULD NOT pressure him in any way. I would not yell at him, I would let him set the pace, I would let him lead. Yeah, I know, I set myself up for failure!

We started out okay yesterday. We started with a warm-up. We walked for three minutes before I mentioned running. Oh, and I must mention that Jackson wanted to go with us. Again, set myself up for failure. After warming up I told him we would try to jog for three minutes then we would walk again for one minute. I thought this would be a good cycle and it wouldn't be too difficult on his first day. Well, Jackson lasted about two minutes. Bryson jogged the entire three minutes. I let him set the pace which was easy considering that my calf is still healing and each step was pretty painful. I know, I know, I shouldn't be jogging, yet, but the race is only four weeks away and we don't have any time to waste. We walked for a minute and then I mentioned that it was time to jog again. By this time Jackson is crying and Bryson jogged for about one minute before he stopped and started whining. We circled back around to the house to drop Jackson off. Bryson insisted that he wanted to keep going, so we started again.

We began with a jog which lasted until we got to the end of our street. I MADE him keep going. He started dragging his feet and eventually twisted his ankle. After I yelled at him and told him that this whole thing was HIS idea, we started back home. I told him that he has until Friday to let me know if he really wants to run 3.1 miles WITHOUT COMPLAINING. If not, then I will go BY MYSELF! Yes, I yelled all of this as we were walking home. I am not proud, I am just being honest.

Once we were home, Addison wanted to go running. That girl RAN all the way down our street without stopping! Of course, by the time we rounded the corner and were walking up another street she decided she was too tired to go any farther. I ended up carrying her all the way home, on my back. That is how our first day of training went. I can't wait to see how day 2 goes!

1 comments:

Dad said...

Jana Renee,
I don't want to use the S word referring to my thoughts on the intelligence of running with a calf problem. Please take care of yourself. You need to go to the doctor (a real one)and not depend on Dr. Google. Dr. Google is great for directions to a real doctor, please use him for that purpose. I love you.
Dad