Monday, November 17, 2008

Many Small Pieces

I was not going to post the following event, but I need to have a record of it for future reference.

This morning I was in my closet getting dressed. Addie was with me and the boys were suppose to be brushing their teeth. I could hear them laughing and talking through the wall. All of a sudden, I heard a loud crashing sound. Something hit the wall and shattered. All I could think of was the mirror had fallen off the wall and shattered on the floor.

As I was making my way to their bathroom, Bryson came running around the corner shouting, "I didn't do it! I didn't do it! Something happened, but I didn't do it!" Well, I knew right away who was the guilty party~ he was. "The toilet broke. I don't know what happened." I could hear water running.

When I got to the bathroom Jackson was standing frozen with fear and the lid of the tank was on the floor in a million pieces. (No, I didn't actually count the pieces, but you know what I mean!) They preceded to tell me they didn't know what happened. It just fell off. I don't know about you, but I am 37 years old and have NEVER been witness to a toilet tank lid "just falling off."

I began asking questions (rather loudly) about what happened. Here's what I got:
Bryson: We were trying to see who was taller.
Me: You are 8 and he is 4. Who do you think is taller?
Bryson: I don't know. We were just trying to see in the mirror who was taller.
Me: Jackson, what did you do.
Jackson: I did nothing. He broke it.
Me: Go to your room. You are getting a spanking for breaking the toilet.

Insert spanking sounds here.

After much questioning and yelling Jackson finally admitted to having a part in the destruction. He also received some tough love for his part and for lying to me.

Here's what I think happened. I think they were trying to see who was taller. Bryson was standing on the toilet, like he said he was. I think the lid probably moved a little bit and he was curious about what was under it. He probably lifted it up a little to look and had Jackson look also. They probably saw all that really cool stuff that makes the toilet work and tried to lift it a little more. As they lifted it slid backward on the tank and slipped behind the toilet and crashed onto the floor. This is what makes sense to me.

Here's where I may have gone too far. I told them to remember this day because come Christmas morning when they don't have any toys under the tree, they need to think back to why there is nothing to play with. I may have spoken too quickly out of anger. I don't know how to back down or if I should even back down. I want them to know that there are consequences for their actions and that if they break something it costs money to replace it. The money has to come from some where and it may just come from extras like toys. If this had been the first time something like this had happened my reaction may have been different. But this was definately NOT the first time they have destroyed something because they were playing around. What do you think? Should I let the spanking stand as the punishment or should I take this opportunity to teach them a lesson? I have conflicting feelings. I am definately feeling like a horrible mom today.

10 comments:

Megan said...

I agree w/ Katie. I think it would be okay to sit down w/ them and talk about how they could raise the money and what kind of punishment you could all find apropriate...

Man. That sucks. I'm sorry!

Megan said...

PS - You are definitely NOT a horrible mother!

Stefanie said...

OK...you are definitely a good mom, you know that. Even good moms "lose it" now and again. I think you tell them that you were upset because they broke something that it will cost you to fix which is hard right at Christmastime, and then acknowledge that you lost your temper...maybe even go so far as to apologize for that but make it clear that what they did was still wrong. Then decide on chores they can do for you to pay for a toilet tank lid!

Jana said...

I have learned in the last hour that a toilet tank lid costs about $100. Can you believe that?! Drew and I had a talk with the boys about how much it costs and that was about how much we were going to spend on toys this year. They said they understood. I think we will take this opportunity to really teach them the real meaning of Christmas and teach them how to give to others instead of always asking for things only for themselves. Hopefully they won't need therapy after this! Although, I might!

Laura said...

I am all for the child labor... Oops. I mean working to repay for the lid. Make a chore list, and the value of each. THen, they can do the chores until it is all paid off.

Drew said...

Daddy says they will learn from this. They have so much crap now that they do not appreciate. We can make Christmas fun with socks and underwear (OLD SCHOOL). I don't get gifts and I love Christmas time! I love Jana Renee (McKay) Simmons!!!!!!

Jana said...

25 A foolish son brings grief to his father and bitterness to the one who bore him.

This verse is in Proverbs. Drew and I had a good laugh over it last night.

Anonymous said...

I think it's a good idea to teach them the lesson of how you have to spend your money to replace the toilet. Let's be realistic, they still will get presents from grandparents and friends so it's not like all is lost. It may be hard but show them the lesson and let them live with it. It won't kill them. That's what I'd do. We all need to cut back anyway.

Anonymous said...

What was Addie doing in all this? She's so sweet she never is in the mix of all the craziness.

Anonymous said...

What can I say!!!I had another blog written but it disapeared, (the Lord or the devil) As a mother of 4 I would have done the same thing, but as a great-grantparent, I would have set them down and explained to them, and loved them, and told them I was sorry I lost my temper, but they will have to learn about breaking something that cost money. I backed into a car and now our insurance is going up!!!
You are a very good mother, just human. Love you all very much!