Thursday, March 5, 2009

Perfection...

something we all strive for but will never reach.

Why are we so (okay, maybe it's just me) obsessed with being perfect? Why do we expect everyone around us to be perfect? Why are we not happy with who we are~ the way we are? Shouldn't people be forgiven for their mistakes and short comings?

These are some of the things I have been struggling with lately. I feel the NEED to be perfect in every way~ perfect mother, perfect wife, perfect teacher, perfect exerciser, perfect Christian, perfect eater, perfect in EVERY way. I know, deep down, that I will NEVER be perfect, but I still put intense pressure on my self every day to be perfect.

I also find myself expecting those around me to be perfect. Why? Why is it so hard to forgive someone for making a mistake? Why do I expect my kids, friends, co-workers and husband to be perfect? Why can't I realize that they will make mistakes and bad choices? We ALL make mistakes. NO ONE is perfect.

Yet, each day I wake up and feel like a failure if I don't do something just right. One mistake can ruin my entire day. So, yeah, all my days feel like failures because I make mistakes every day~ many, many mistakes. So do all the other humans on the face of the earth.

I know these things, yet I still feel the pressure/put the pressure on myself to be perfect.

I know this post doesn't make a whole lot of sense, (ie. less than the perfect post!) but I just needed to put it out there. I am just trying to work through this. Does anyone else feel the same way?

3 comments:

Heather said...

I feel the same way! I put so much on myself to be the perfect wife, mother, and teacher. I get way too stressed out about every little detail about home and school. Sometimes I wish that I could just let things go and not worry about making sure everything is perfect all the time.

Laura T said...

You're not alone in this at all! I often feel like I'm failing as a wife, mother, teacher, Christian. It's these times that I have to rely on God's grace. I remind myself that I am doing the best job I can and I pray for God to give me the abilities I need to get them done.

Anonymous said...

the cool thing is, i see you as perfect no matter what, ilu