Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Florida Vacation: Days 9 and 10

There are no pictures of our last two days of vacation~ these were our traveling days. We left Florida at about 7:00 am and intended to drive to Mobile, AL to spend the night. Somewhere along the way, Drew and I decided to take a little detour so we could go by and see my dad in Houston. (I always wish I could be more spontaneous than I really am, so this was a good time to try it out!) We had to drive about 3 hours longer that day, but thought it would be worth it in the end. We considered calling my aunt in New Orleans to see if we could go by and see her and my cousins, but decided not to intrude on them. Then we thought Baton Rouge would be a good place to stop. Houston is about 4 hours from there and Fort Worth is about 4 hours from Houston, so the trip would have been cut in half nicely.

I got on my phone to try to find a hotel. I used priceline, which I had never used before. It was kind of fun! I found us a hotel in east Baton Rouge for about what we were going to pay in Mobile. We were going to stop in Gulfport to eat dinner, but Addison had fallen asleep and we didn't want to wake her up. If we kept driving (kind of fast) we could make it to Baton Rouge and eat a late dinner there. After dinner the kids would have time to swim before bed. That's is what we decided to do. Drew increased our speed, set the cruise control and on we went! We go to our hotel a little after 7:00.

There were several restaurants around, so we took our stuff to our room and went to look for a place to eat. We didn't, however, take into account that it was a Saturday night. There were people waiting outside for a table at EVERY restaruant we drove by. There was a Chili's right next to the hotel, but we really didn't want to eat there. I told Drew that we should just order Chili's to go and take it back to the room. He didn't want to do that, so we drove around a little bit more. EVERY place was packed and we didn't want drive through. Where did we end up? We ordered Chili's to go and took it back to the room. :0) The kids thought it was fun. We told them it was just like room service. They will never know the difference! We have told them Cabela's is the zoo before, too, because Drew hates going to the zoo! Hey, it doesn't stink and it's free!

We went down to the (quite small) pool and there were about 25-30 kids already swimming. We decided it was just too crowded to be safe and went back to the room. The kids weren't happy about that, but disappointments are part of life! They ended up falling asleep very quickly and slept until we woke them up early the next morning.

Sunday morning we left around 7:00 am and go to Houston shortly after 11:00. My dad fixed us hamburgers and we visited until 2:00. I would have liked to stay longer, but I said we would leave by 2:00 and we did. I was so ready to be home by this point. We still had about 4 hours of driving ahead of us.

We got home around 6:30. We had a little detour at a Dairy Queen for a dipped cone and Blizzards, so we were a little behind schedule. Once we got home I put on my workout clothes and headed to the gym. I couldn't stand it any longer. I haven't gone that long without working out since I gave birth to Addison and I was going CRAZY! Drew totally understands when I get like that and he just lets me go do what I need to do. When I got home he had everything unpacked and laundry started. Is he the best, or what?!

So, that was our vacation! We had a great time and I am so glad we decided to go. I can't wait to go back when the kids are a little older. Thanks for following along!

0 comments: