Saturday, May 22, 2010

Run for Sarah

Today was the day we, me and Bryson, ran the Run for Sarah 5k. I woke him up early and he jumped right out of bed. He was excited that it was finally time to run. We got ready and headed out. I picked up Nancy, a friend from work, to go with us.

We got there and picked up our packet. Bryson was really excited to put on his shirt and race number. We talked to some people and stood around waiting. The longer we waited, the more impatient he became. He asked me about 253,675 times what time it was! I told Bryson that he could set the pace. He said he wanted to jog for 5 minutes before stopping to walk. That sounded like a great plan.

Finally, it was time to start. When we got up to the starting line he was already jogging. I started my stop watch so we could keep up with our time. Three minutes and twenty-one seconds into the race (yes, 3:21!) Bryson said, "I am NEVER doing this again!" That made some people around us laugh, but I was not laughing. I knew it was going to be a LONG three miles.

Nancy and I continued to encourage him and cheer for him, but the more we cheered the slower he walked. I decided that we could just go on ahead of him and he could catch up. We would stop and wait every once in a while, but it seemed like he went slower each time. Let me just say that it was a struggle to maintain my composure with him! We waited for him at the three mile marker so we could finish together. He ran in, of course, ahead of us. We finished in 48:08 and it was the longest 5k I have ever done and will ever do!

Afterward, we walked around the tables and got water, a banana and a snack. On the way home, Bryson said he had fun. Really? Fun? He complained the entire time! The water and snacks must have erased his memory. I am never going to PAY for that experience again! Nancy and I will run by ourselves from now on!

1 comments:

Emmy said...

Wow! Sounds like a crazy day! Little kids are like that, though...I mean, the event itself was boring, but the snacks afterwards make everything better. He sounds like a cute kid :)