Saturday, September 13, 2008

Friday Night Lights

Me and Addie at the game.
Jackson and his Starbursts.
Bryson enjoying his Gatorade.

Drew and Addie.

We went to the Richland/Birdville game last night. Birdville lost 13-21.

I love Friday nights at a high school football game! It brings back such good memories. I envy the parents sitting in the stands wearing their son's number. I have always wanted to be one of those parents. I guess I always knew I would have a boy who would play Varsity football. The thing is, my boys are so NOT interested in football. Yes, I know, they are only 4 and 8, but shouldn't they at least be a little interested by now? When I told them, excitedly, that we were going to the game, they both asked, "Do we have to?"

"Football is fun. Remember last year? You got to play in the bleachers and find bugs. We bought you a snack and a drink. Don't you remember how much fun football is?"

They scoured the bleachers for money and other forms of "treasure." Bryson ended up 12 cents and several nuts, bolts and washers richer.They have no idea what goes on on the field.

I have tried to get Bryson interested in playing some kind of team sport. He played Upward basketball last year. He was not impressed. He did enjoy the post-game snack, though. We sent him to the Texas Ranger's baseball camp. (Thanks, again, Breon!) He was not impressed. He liked the baseball cards, though. Golf, I thought, he would surely enjoy golf. Nope. He does enjoy cooking. Do they make parent jerseys for that? Maybe I could get a button with his picture on it and wear it to cooking competitions? Hopefully, someday down the road, some sport will spark his interest. Until then, I will go to football games and secretly (or not so secretly, now) look at those parents proudly wearing their son's jersey number, with envy.

0 comments: