Thursday, September 4, 2008

Super Mom

Okay, I am NOT talking about myself! I am talking about all the single moms out there who do it ALL by themselves. I only have to be alone a couple of nights a week during football, basketball and track seasons and I struggle every time!

It's not that I don't know HOW to cook (I would hardly starve if left to my own devices). I just don't LIKE to cook. I get an uneasy feeling just being in the kitchen, unless there is chocolate in there! EVERYTIME I am in the kitchen something happens. I burn, break, bust, spill or destroy something! The other night I was going to make breakfast for dinner. Simple enough. The kids like biscuits and eggs. I could handle that much, surely. The first thing I did was drop an egg on the floor. I cleaned it up and managed to get something resembling food on the table. The boys don't really complain anymore, they know that that is just how it is when mom is in charge of cooking. That's just one example. Believe me there are many more. That one is just the most recent! Tonight I stopped by Chicken Express on the way home to avoid a certain disaster. The homecooked meals will have to wait until Drew is home!

Maybe I shouldn't do this, but I do. I let my kids take a bath together. Not every night, just when I need a few minutes by myself. Usually I will only let Jackson and Addison bathe together. I make Bryson take a shower most of the time. Tonight was one of those nights when I said all three of them could take a bath and play in there for a while. Five minutes, I thought, would be enough to get my second wind. I needed it after dancing and jumping around with 5, 6 and 7 seven year olds for a couple of hours today. I had just sat down when Jackson and Bryson came running down the hall, naked, shouting, "Addie pooped in the tub! Addie pooped in the tub!" Sure enough, there it was in all it's glory. And she was standing there laughing at it! Of course every bath toy was in the tub with her. So tonight, one bath turned into two, after a thorough cleaning, and the bath toys filled up the dishwasher. The dirty dishes will have to stay in the sink until Drew gets home.

Then we still had to do homework and spend "quality" time together. I quickly went over spelling words, read a quick book and told them to turn on the T.V.! "We can watch T.V.?" they asked with excitment filling the air. "Sure, go for it. I need some alone time." They completely understand. That's just how it is when mom is in charge.

So, I am sitting here blogging and they are watching yet another show. I am hoping that second wind finds me soon! At least tomorrow is Friday. Although Drew has to scout a game and won't be home until late. We will probably have left-over Chicken Express, take a bath together and go to bed with another show on the Disney Channel. Jealous of my Friday night, yet?

Anyway, I admire single parents who can come home, cook dinner, help with homework and spend quality time with their kids. My mom was a single parent most of my life and I don't know how she managed. I KNOW I couldn't do it. I can barely keep things from falling apart a two nights a week! Power on, single moms! You deserve to be rewarded. Drew, don't even THINK about leaving! We will just follow you anyway!

0 comments: